2009年7月14日星期二

"China is my second home": former Bangladeshi army chief

By Huang Yanan

DHAKA, June 29 (Xinhua) -- Former Bangladeshi army chief lieutenant general Mahbubur Rahman, who was former military attache of Bangladesh embassy in China, said here recently that heis an admirer and lover of China and treats China as his second home.

While being exclusively interviewed by Xinhua at his house in Dhaka, Mahbubur said, "I saw a lot and learned a lot when I was in China. I have very good impression on China and 5 years living in China left me a lot of good memories."

Mahbubur said that he had curiosity about China in his early age and liked to read books about China.

In 1969, when Bangladesh was a part of Pakistan, Mahbubur was serving in Pakistani army and sent to study Chinese in a foreign language institute. "I studied Chinese only for 9 months in the institute, but I was greatly attracted by the language," he said.

After China and Bangladesh established diplomatic relations in 1975, Mahbubur told the then Bangladeshi army chief Zia Rahman (who later became president) he wanted to continue his study of Chinese language. Zia arranged a scholarship and Mahbubur started his study in Beijing Language College in September 1976 and he was also one of the first batch of Bangladeshi students to study in China.

Mahbubur said, "I was supposed to study 3 years. But after one year I was called back to Bangladesh. I regretted for not finishing my study in China."

Mahbubur was posted in China from 1980 to 1984 as a military attache in Bangladeshi embassy. He is the first military attache in the embassy.

During his term in China, Mahbubur initiated the military cooperation between China and Bangladesh. "We bought a lot of military equipment from China. Some of the equipment were provided free. In that time, Bangladesh sent the highest number of officers from the armed forces to be trained in China," he said.

Mahbubur remembered what former Bangladeshi president Zia Rahman told him at the airport after he concluded his visit to China in July 1980, saying "China is a friend and China is a great country. To develop the relations and promote the friendship with China. Remember, this is the country which we look forward and this is the country in which we fully trust."

Mahbubur said, "so many years have been passed, I always remember the words and these also express my feelings to China."

During his stay in China, Mahbubur visited almost all over China. He not only saw the beauty of China but also witnessed the rising of China.

Mahbubur said, "When I was in China in 1976, China was very backward and undeveloped. 30 years later, China has totally changed. The change is really amazing and like a dream."

Mahbubur made the latest visit to China in 2008 during Beijing Olympics. He said, "China has become more modern, more civilized. I am proud of the achievements China have made."

Mahbubur said, "When I was working in China. I established personal friendship with some top leaders in the PLA. I could talk with them in Chinese at that time. But because long time no practice, I can't speak Chinese well now."

Mahbubur visited China when He was a army chief from 1996 to 1998.

Mahbubur loves sports and was president of Bangladesh Olympic Association.

After retirement from the army, Mahbubur has been dedicated to developing friendship with China and joined Bangladesh-China Friendship Association and is elected as vice president.

"I want to do more for the friendship between China and Bangladesh. I hope I can go back to China often to see the change and development of the great country because China is my second home," he said.

没有评论:

发表评论